Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. -- James Michener

For those of you that don’t know, I’m a freelance writer for a group of websites. I write book, movie, and TV reviews, and occasionally spout off about different movie and TV topics. I co-write a column every Thursday for Supernatural, and well… I love it.

When I initially started writing about Supernatural, it was when the show was on their famous “hellatius” (a term used by the fandom to describe the MANY, MANY weeks between episodes. Supernatural will go on hiatus about twice a season.), and I’m pretty sure the fandom was looking for a way to fill their Supernatural void.

I wrote a TV chat piece on www.daemonstv.com called “Six Reasons to Watch Supernatural” (click on that link to read it), published it, and didn’t really think much of it. The piece was A LOT of fun to write, it was easy for me, and I had to do VERY little research on the topic. (I’m slightly obsessed with the show, so pulling out obscure references is nothing for me)

I figured I’d get a few comments just like the rest of my articles do… until my email was BOMBARDED with notifications of comments. I seriously don’t know how many people read and replied to the article, but it took off in a way that I had never expected (had I known, I probably would have done another draft), and I have met a LOT of new fans that are now my friends on twitter.

It was an amazing experience, and one that I feel needed to be documented. Too bad it’s taken me this long to do it. In addition to the fan response, Supernatural’s official Twitter account tweeted the article to all of THEIR followers, which is where I’m assuming all of my newfound friends came from.

That tweet (as dramatic as it sounds) was a CRAZY thing to see. While I understand how social media works, I never ONCE thought that my little article (I would have also listed more than 6 reasons had I know!) would hit the network in anyway. I may have flailed, taken a picture of the tweet on my computer screen, and also posted on Facebook. I was excited, okay?!

Not only did that experience really open my eyes to the fact that people read what I wrote, it also made me realize that I pretty much know what I’m talking about when it comes to TV shows or movies that I’m passionate about! It also gave me a little boost of confidence in my writing abilities….lol

Since then, I co-write “Supernatural Thursdays” on www.daemonstv.com, and just have so much fun with the column that I cannot even express it in words. To be able to write about a subject that I’m passionate about, and to have like minded people respond is a GREAT feeling.

In addition to Supernatural, I’m a Joss Whedon addict. I have yet to see Dollhouse (It’s streaming, I’m going to watch it, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet!!), but anything else that has Joss’ name on it I will watch, and I will probably fall in love with.

Last week, I wrote a “Top 5 Male Characters of the Whedonverse”, and this article took off as well. Not as huge as the Supernatural article, but I gained a few more twitter followers, and a Whedon website also tweeted the article.

There were more negative comments to the Whedon piece… apparently I don’t hold the same opinions as most of the fandom does. (I’m SORRY, but Wesley was NOT one of my favorite characters! If I were to add another, it would’ve been Jayne!)

Regardless, I wanted to get the experience down and share it with the four people that read my blog. I’m a lucky girl that I get to do something that I love, even if it isn’t my full time job. I have to keep that thought in the front of my head.

Be sure to take a look at the things I’ve written, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment